Monday, August 18, 2008  
The Monday blues
Days 'til Kickoff: 12
Days 'til I hit the beach: 10

Man, I caught the Kid Rock show last night, and while the American Badass was...well...badass...the guys opening the show stole it for me. I've seen them before, but they were on fire last night. The band is called Back Door Slam. It's a blues band from the UK, and they're awesome. It's three kids, probably early to mid-twenties, who can just wail. Check them out here. It was awesome. Kid Rock puts on a hell of a show nowadays. I saw him before and it was just kinda boring, but last night was great. He's almost completely rock n roll now, as opposed to almost completely rap in the past. Even his set with Rev Run was pretty good. Not to mention it was about 75 degrees with a nice breeze out there at Mud Island last night, and there were attractive females everywhere. Made for a perfect night. Haha.

Fall camp is officially over, so now it's time for us to get ready for Clemson. I would like to trick myself and believe that the Tigers aren't really taking us seriously...but I don't really believe that. They know what's coming. The question is whether or not we're still better than they are, and I think that's very possible. We have a lot of speed on defense now, and we've got some big cogs in the middle of the line, so their running game is going to have trouble. The biggest thing is whether or not we're able to slow down their qb...who, according to scouts, has the same problems that JPW has - he doesn't look off safeties and he relies heavily on one receiver, because he doesn't get through his progressions. Should make for an interesting test for our young secondary.

If you want an opportunity to check out one of Alabama's newest commitments, Rod Woodson, then turn on ESPN on Saturday, August 30th and watch his Olive Branch Conquistadors playing in Miami against Pahokee, FL at 12 noon CST. Kinda exciting for me because I graduated from Olive Branch back in 2001.


I guess this week I'm gonna rock out with my Crimson and White Roundtable...

1. Will JP use Julio as a crutch the same way he did with DJ Hall for the past two seasons?

My gut actually tells me no this time. I have a feeling that the ball will be spread more evenly this season than it has in the past two years - by a longshot. I think Julio will get his grabs, but Maze, Scott, Stover, McCoy, and others are all incredibly capable of being big play receivers. Now, on 3rd and 10, defenses don't know where we're going with the football, which is definitely an advantage.

2. Would a loss in the opener be more beneficial for the freshmen than a big national win?

Shut the hell up. Nothing good ever comes from a loss. Ever. I don't care who you are. As Herm Edwards said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME." Period. I don't believe the coaching staff will let these guys get overconfident at any point in the season, even if they blowout Clemson by 4 touchdowns. Won't matter. It's just one game.

3. What will be the tailgate food of choice for opening weekend?

You better believe it man - brats, burgers, and beer. And potato salad. Definitely. I'm down with a case of Coors Light, about 5 brats cooking on the outside of the grill in some aluminum foil, and burgers marinated in Dale's steak sauce and huey's burger sauce. Haven't tried it? Do it...I'm tellin ya, it's like heaven. Should make for a great evening. Fire up the grill at 5pm, put the meat on around 5:20, eat by 5:45 or 6 or whatever, then get in the gameday mood. I'll be good and stuffed, then I'll have my jersey on, ready to roll.
 

Comments: I feel ya with the grillin'! I can't wait for gameday! I in no way want us to lose to Clemson. However, a loss might be a needed slap in the face to the unrealistic fans who are callin' for a NC this year.
# posted by Blogger JC : 8:05 PM   I hear ya about the unrealistic fans. I'm looking forward to a good game and Bama coming out on top. Look for me in the corner of the endzone.

ROLL TIDE!!!!
# posted by Blogger paul4tide : 9:20 AM   Post a Comment



<< Home





Google
 



ARCHIVES
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
July 2010
August 2012

MY BAND
Prosevere
myspace.com/prosevere

LINKS
Roll Bama Roll
Capstone Report
TideSports.com
My Bama
BamaNation.net
Third Saturday in Blogtober
The Bama Report

EDSBS (FL)
The Chris Vernon Show
VolNation.com (TN)
Fanblogs
Sunday Morning QB

Powered by Blogger



Memphis Tider store


Alabama football tickets
College football tickets
BCS Championship game tickets